Friday, February 11, 2011

Literary Milestone

May I please brag for just one second? Last week during my day to "parent help" at preschool, I was working the craft table, and this one little girl said, "I want to sign my name to my picture" to which I mumbled to myself, "Pshaw. You go right ahead little three-year-old who can't do jack." She then wrote her name and blew my mind a little bit.

I came away from preschool that day determined to teach our son to write his name.

Tonight, we're out to dinner (i.e. happy hour because it's cheap) at a fancy-ish restaurant (fancy because it's really dark, has candles and a pretty expensive regular dinner menu) when the waiter brought over a toy for Abe and...

...lo and behold:

He told us that the "A" looks like our grill. And it really does. Do you see it?

I make the young writer pose with his creation.

...and on to the next thing, which turned out to be the outline of a pained memoir of a child raised by an academically competitive mother who only allowed her children to order off the happy hour menu.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Abe deserves that four dollar martini and those cheese poppers after that! And call Weber grill! Their new product designer just drew himself a job!

Sara said...

Love it!

Gretchen said...

Just don't turn into the Tiger Mom. Please. Pretty please with a side of pizza and beer.

As for Abe. You rock kid. I would even venture far enough to say I love you. I do. I love Abe Rooney.

Us4 Cats said...

we see it ! what a sweet moment that must have been. love the grill comparison .

Rusty Spell said...

Yes, his name is a picture of a man holding an American flag on the 4th of July, standing next to his grill.