Monday, November 5, 2007

Hearing God through The Talking Heads

Late Saturday night as we were driving home, we saw a couple of teenage boys on the street in this photo gleefully filling up garbage cans with leaves and making a monster pile. It made me laugh and I wanted to go back to see what they had in store for their yellow mountain. It has been gorgeous in Portland lately. This weekend I got all sentimental about God, thinking about how He made so much beauty for us to find joy in. Fall is essentially the season where everything is dying, and it could be this ugly time of everything turning grey and blowing away like ashes and dust. Instead, it's colorful and windy and cool and fun.

Even I, someone who thrives in rainy weather, was pretty overcome by the blue sky behind orange trees today. It's impossible not to have a skip in your step in weather like this. While out running errands, this is what I heard when the radio came on, "If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower." Turns out it is The Talking Heads Day on my favorite radio station, and I wondered how I made it through my entire life having never heard this song. My hippy-dippy Monday challenge: listen to this song (as loudly as you can stand it, preferably) and stay in a pissy funk. For me, it's impossible:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that video. I'd never heard that song before. You're right. No funk here! :)

Have a great Tuesday!
Steph

Anonymous said...

hi Lori, this is Jana K from Kosice. i wrote an email to you some time ago with some news in it, did you get a chance to look at it? love reading your blog, such a pleasant, insightful, so Lori blog, hope to hear from you soon.xxx

Anonymous said...

love the photo of the yellow trees (sigh! oh the seasons, the lost seasons... where are the seasons in the city of angels???) and the thoughts about autumn & death and the unnecessary beauty. deeeeeeep.

and the talking heads video...what a great song! so full of hope! makes me wanna read ayn rand. or even moreso, to re-awaken my ache for a God-loving ayn rand to come along.

love you guys!
amanda

Anonymous said...

love the photo of the yellow trees (sigh! oh the seasons, the lost seasons... where are the seasons in the city of angels???) and the thoughts about autumn & death and the unnecessary beauty. deeeeeeep.

and the talking heads video...what a great song! so full of hope! makes me wanna read ayn rand. or even moreso, to re-awaken my ache for a God-loving ayn rand to come along.

love you guys!
amanda

Anonymous said...

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii&*^%$#!
sorry about that. computer malfunction meets operator error. feeling like a dweeb....

Rusty Spell said...

That's always been my favorite Talking Heads song (or at least in my top three), since it came out when we were thirteen (it pre-dated Rusty/Lori slightly, so I guess we never heard it together).

I used the intro once as a sample for one of my songs. It's a much better version of that Joni Mitchell "Put Up a Parking Lot" song. One of my earliest encounters of a good use of irony in lyrics.

It doesn't seem hopeful to me, though; the music is bouncy, but the message is a little depressing.

Lori said...

I could delete those posts where Amanda messed up and then threw a fit, but I think they're funny, so they're staying :)
And I agree with Rusty about the Talking heads song. It made me feel as bouncy as the song is when I first heard it, but then I really paid attention to the lyrics and had second thoughts about its seeming optimism. But I guess my take on it is that it's just a warning--that us "hippie dippies" can still dream for a world with fewer Pizza Huts and parking lots but that we may be met with opposition, even amongst our own ranks. I see the song as a way of making us question what's really important to us: the ideal or convenience? And being asked that question can lead to darkish introspection but can also lead to a feeling of "Let the daisies rule!"
Sorry for all that.

Rusty Spell said...

You win the game.