Friday, July 6, 2007

Reality is sinking in.

Kate from our dossier service is getting all our documents authenticated now. The insurance letter was redone and is good. The bank letter did have to be done again (because of some problem with the notary), but Ted took care of that this morning and overnighted it.

Then yesterday we got this email from our social worker:

Your homestudy is being signed and notarized as we speak...it should be put in the mail to Gladney tomorrow as well as a copy to Immigration and 2 copies to you. You are definitely on your way to parenthood!!

Last night I fell asleep really quickly but was startled awake by my dream that my hand was being burned by a pizza pan. Then I just lay there in bed thinking, "Oh my gosh...that email...are we ready? This actually just might happen...it's not just paperwork anymore...we're gonna get a referral and we're actually going to make a trip to Africa for crying out loud. Are we ready for this? Should we move to a different neighborhood? Will our baby fit in with all those lily-white urchins hanging out in the hot tub yesterday? I can't believe this is actually going to happen..."

I'm guessing these questions are normal? I'm hoping. Anyone else have these middle-of-the-night thoughts upon entering the waiting stage of adoption? I'm definitely still excited about it for sure, but it sure is a different experience when you realize that you're about to be put on the waiting list...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Normal, normal, normal. It's getting REAL that's why you are starting to have a tiny bit of panic. You are expecting, and with all that that includes. You are going to be fine. You are going to be a great mom. Your baby is out there waiting for you. My prayers to you and Ted...and to your child. He/she could already be born now? : )

Jana said...

well, I'm ALREADY having those moments of fear about our "lily whiteness." What do they say--it's not really courage unless you feel fear and go forward anyway? something like that.

I can't wait to see your little one! On the blog, of course. We aren't stalking you. lol.

The Elliott Family said...

Welcome to normalcy! The whole kit and kaboodle seems very surreal, especially with each step. I suppose at some point it becomes normal life!
I have had that with the end of the dossier, after I got the referral, and now that we are traveling soon. After about a week or 2 with each step, I got more settled, and then BOOM!....another step comes in!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're this far along in the process already. I can't wait to meet your baby someday soon!

Love,
Staci

Rusty Spell said...

Different neighborhood? Lily-white urchins?

Tara said...

isnt it a great "problem" that this is moving along so quickly and smoothly?! (knock on wood)
we are almost at the same point in this process..maybe we will travel to ethiopia together...i think the Rooney's from "our Ethiopian Adoption Story" are at the exact same point as well...maybe we will all get our babies at the same time!

Anonymous said...

You are so totally normal!! And when you actually get your own little urchin, there may come a point where you ask yourself "why did we do this?" Again, totally normal! The good news? It's normal whether getting a child biologically or through adoption! Major change in your life either way!

Mollie said...

I just want to say that I am have so much respect for what you guys are doing. It has been my dream for so many years to hopefully one day be able to adopt internationally.. so to know someone personally that is doing the same makes it that much more real and reachable. Right now I sponsor children in Tanzania, El Salvador, Honduras & Bangladesh and I feel like they're my kids.. each letter and picture I receive from them always leads to smiles & tears and feelings of pride and joy. Thousands of miles across the world you can feel the love in their letters.. so I can only imagine how incredible it will finally be to experience that in person, with my own child. You and Ted are in my prayers.. that the process will continue to go smoothly and quickly and that once you hold your little one in your arms, all the love and knowledge you will ever need to be a wonderful parent will be with you!!
God Bless,

Mollie