Sunday, July 29, 2007

Surreal, random funniness

Friday had a considerable amount of weirdness attached to it. First of all, I'd been spending a couple of days getting the house ready for the home exchange we're doing with a couple from Ireland who were supposedly arriving Friday sometime. I'd scoured the house from top to bottom and had even made a Welcome-to-Portland package, seen here:

There are stacks of books relating to Portland, Portland Monthly magazines, maps of Portland, brochures about Portland sites and events, newspapers relating to what's happening around town, plus a bottle of Oregon wine and chocolate truffles from Trader Joe's.

Friday morning I woke up early, with only the sheets to change on the bed before packing up my stuff and going over to a relative's condo across town. The problem was that we hadn't heard anything from the couple and had no idea when they were arriving. We started to panic, wondering if there'd been some miscommunication and maybe they weren't coming at all.

So Ted asked me to look through his emails for a phone number for them, and while doing this, I found an email from them stating their arrival time and date...on Sunday. We'd even written it in our calendar for Sunday. How the heck did we get Friday stuck in our dufus heads? Why do we not look more at our calendar?

So since the house was ready for visitors and I didn't want to touch anything for fear of messing it up, I decided to sleep in the single guest bed downstairs and live out of my packed suitcase. So for the last two days, I've been spending a lot of time outside, at the computer, and touching only this pile of stuff:

With all the traveling we do, it does sometimes feel like we live out of our suitcases, but doing this in our own home is kind of ridiculous.

Later in the day, I got a myspace message from a woman I went to high school with who was a grade ahead of me. She told me about her blog, so I looked at it and found out that she and her mom are the claymation pigs in the new Creature Comforts show. I really loved the British version of Creature Comforts and didn't even know an American version was being made until I found out that Celia is in it. So so weird and funny. You can see their clip here. Go to the Cast Map and find "Nell and Celia" in Pearl, Mississippi.

The next thing was that Ted and I had a bit of a...disagreement. Um, I got sorta mad at him, something that so rarely happens, really. After getting off the phone with him, I went to CNN's page and was drawn in by the headline, "Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband found naked in car, says he was mugged." Um, okay, gotta see what that's about. I started reading and felt Ted's presence, then looked at the top of the page, and saw Ted looking forlornly over his left shoulder with the caption, "They miss you." I couldn't help smiling, despite being mad. Nice timing, Mr. Rooney. Nothing like a naked husband of Zsa Zsa Gabor and Abe love to get one over a quarrel.

Then I started doing my daily check of adoption blogs I follow and discovered that a couple got their referral this week and posted the funniest announcement I've seen so far. Most of these announcements make me cry; this one made me laugh out loud. Really, please take a moment to look at it. You will not regret the five seconds it takes to look at this.

Finally, and by far the weirdest discovery Friday, came through bestweekever, a pretty funny blog about pop culture that I check every few days since I hardly ever watch tv. The comedians who contribute here are actually pretty funny. They posted the following youtube video that's sweeping the internet called "Chocolate Rain." I'm not sure what to say about it. It definitely makes me laugh, mostly in the same way that I laugh at my friend Noby's "Grampa there's a rat caught in the trap" bit (few things on this earth make me laugh harder than that bit).

And in celebration of my finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, here's a featured youtube video by some dude that looks like someone I might have had a crush on, had we been in high school together. I've always had a thing for the goobers, people. Enjoy (and no spoilers are here, I promise).

1 comment:

Celia said...

Thanks for the plug, Lori! They actually pulled the show after 3 episodes. Dumb Americans only appreciate reality shows and game shows like "who wants to be a fifth grader" or whatever. ; ) Good news is, the dvd with all 7 episodes comes out in October and it has behind the scenes footage. Mama and I were filmed for that so be sure and check it out!
Celia