Monday, January 21, 2008

Letting Go of Worry

Any idea what makes these two photographs remarkable?


If you guessed something about the sun being out this bright in January in Portland, ding ding ding, you get the cigar. Most days, it's so dark that noon feels like dusk, so Ted made the comment today about how remarkable it is that "When the sun is this bright outside, it's like it actually lights up our house. We don't even have to turn any lights on inside or anything. It's weird and kind of cool."

It's the little things.

We talked to Mary again today, and it looks like we have at least a two week wait ahead of us. The Gladney team is going above and beyond to get ready for the appeal, doing more than what most would probably do to ensure that this case is presented in the clearest way possible. We hope to find out this week when the court date is.

I have been touched lately by reading this blog, especially the post titled "Shaken Up" in which she writes about the gratitude that she feels to the Ethiopian nation for allowing her to be mother to one of their own. I have thought the same thing, often getting choked up at the thought of the honor it is to be entrusted with this child. I cringe inside when people make comments to us about what an honorable thing we're doing by "rescuing" a child. We don't see it this way and never have. We feel like the lucky ones and will live our lives doing all we can to honor those who entrusted us with a child. I encourage you to read this blog: this family really seems to have the right perspective about adoption. We don't have a right to these children--we are the fortunate ones. Keeping this perspective in mind makes me realize that being impatient with this process is selfish and pointless. I'm still not good at being patient, but I'm trying to keep my heart focused on the big picture, that worry and impatience will do nothing to form our family even a second faster. All it does is make me unhappy and a pill to live with: just ask Ted.

I'm also inspired by this family as well. I cry every time I read their story.

Finally, I don't know if it was the sunshine or a day of successfully "letting go" of the worry, but we let some ridiculousness in this afternoon while shopping for kitchen flooring. Hope you enjoy.

Follow this link if you need context.

18 comments:

Natalie Fournet said...

Thankful you had some light during what I imagine can be dark and anxious days. Keeping you in my prayers. Natalie

mama becca said...

You guys are the perfect kind of crazy :).
Thanks for your wonderful insights... and the pictures of light. I love light through windows in the middle of winter... such warmth!
love,
becca

Jocelyn said...

Love the video, it cracked me up!! Ok, so we have a couple of weeks of serious praying to do...I'm on it!! I was hoping you'd hear that it would be sooner but we want them to be ready of course. I know that Gladney has to be doing everything they can!

veggiemom said...

I totally agree. I hate the comments about how lucky Ruby is. I hate that the world is such that her birth mom couldn't feed her and care for her. I hate that Guatemala (her birth country) has no social welfare system to help her birth mom be able to raise her. It is my firm belief that when we take one of the greatest gifts a country has to give - one of their children - we become obligated to teach that child about their heritage but also to give back to the country in ways that might help other families there out of similar situations.
I'll be thinking of you and hoping you get good news soon.
Kerri and Ruby
PS - the video was a hoot!

Amy B. said...

So, where are the marble columns going in your kitchen remodel??? :) It was good to talk to you today...sorry that I had a little distraction whining in the background. You continue to be in our thoughts constantly.

Love,
Amy

Shelia Earl Photography said...

I have been keeping up with the 2 blogs that you mentioned -- and they are both so inspiring. We are still praying for you as you continue through these unknown waters and look forward to news of a court date soon.

I LOVED the video clip of Ted and thanks for the background. Since we don't live in the states, it was great to see the SNL clip as background.

It is hard to believe that we will be in the states next Monday (a meeting first and then on to Amy's). We just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you.
Shelia

Shelia Earl Photography said...

Sorry about the double posting. Just as I posted the electricity fluctuated and it posted twice. Shelia

Anonymous said...

hi lori,

i was really uplifted by your light-sun-perseverance mood.

i wrote you an email, plus a little somefing somefing to crack about.

officially joining the support gang!!

love,
jana k

Jana said...

Thinking of you. Love the marble columns routine. Haven't sent you your surprise yet--it's been driving around in my car with me. Long story. Praying for you guys.

Meredith said...

Ted sure makes me happy. I can't wait to meet you guys in person whenever you come back this way. Do you think he could sing a song for me?

Stacie said...

Lori- you are so sweet. I love your perspective on things and I am honored that you mentioned our site here. And, did you know that we might be blog-sisters? My friends (who followed the link from our blog) think we look alike from your profile pic. Especially if I have on my black glasses. :) Too funny!

And, Ted is hilarious. I'm coming down to Marble Columns & Lions as soon as I can!

Carol said...

Lori - you guys are funny! Loved the clip and now I MUST have me some marble columns :-) Seriously, glad to see you are taking joy in the little things! We're still praying for you!
Carol

Anonymous said...

So, I am walking through the neighborhood with Lloyd and the dogs and wahat should I come upon but a whole slew of "marrble columns" recently added to hold up a carport in the neighborhood. Thought they might be customers of yours. I tried to explain the whole thing to Lloyd as I was laughing but my acting skills do not rival Ted's...

Praying for you, and laughing with you.

Pattie

Carpenter Family said...

ted and lori hang in there.. your insight and faith are beautiful pictures that many of us who are in a familiar place lean on..

my husband and i who don't know you, pray for you. we pray for children everywhere wanting to love on parents and vice versa

in this great big world of at times ugly it is nice to have people along the way who point you back to jesus, when you don't have the strength to on that given day.

priase God and praying for you!
laughter in times of stress are some of the best gifts God can send to remind us he is good.. always good

m&r said...

What a great post. Hope you know that you are an inspiration to so many others, even as you are dealing with such a difficult situation. We are keeping you in our thoughts and hoping that you will see the light at the end of the tunnel very, very soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori. I check your blog daily and think of you all the time. No words of wisdom, but just know that I'm praying for a positive outcome to your appeal and that Abenezer gets to come home to you soon. I hope you are hanging in there.

Post some kitchen remodel pics! How's it coming?

Tymm said...

Thank you for the kind words. Life's been tough the past couple weeks but it's these kind words that keep dropping in that keep our heads up.

Good for you for letting go of worry - I've been living by that for some time - can't worry, just let it go.

Thanks again. Marble Columns. Hilarious.

Tymm & Laura

Gurskes said...

Hey would you email me your email address we set our blog to private and I would love you to continue to read it!!

Bethanyr27@msn.com