We heard from Mary again Friday with more details about what has been going on. We'd been afraid of some setbacks earlier in the week, but those have been worked out, and everyone is hoping that by the middle of next week, we'll know when the appeal will be. I'm not sure if having an actual date to look forward to is going to make all of this easier or harder. Oh well. It is what it is, and my goal these days is to do my best to live in the moment by not dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. I realize it sounds like a cliche; it's true even so. It's how I'm keeping my head above water lately. I'm not always successful--in fact about half the time, I'm not, tending to blog mainly on the up-days. Believe me, you don't want me to post on my down-days.
Both yesterday and today have been up, so far at least. It helped hearing from Gladney yesterday. Every time we hear from them, we become even more thankful for this agency. Just last night a friend was asking us about Gladney and how remarkable it is that we have no complaints about them, when so many adoptive families have at least one or two gripes with their agency. We feel blessed to have them on our side.
I was tagged again this week, so here goes:
8 things I'm passionate about:
1. My dislike of the movie Love, Actually. I'm sorry for anyone this offends. It's a bafflingly popular movie that I happen to loathe.
2. Anything at all related to New York City, especially the Ric Burns documentary and this blog.
3. Finding interesting things at thrift stores.
4. Authenticity, especially among people who share my faith.
5. Manners, which is just kindness and respect to others.
6. Kindness to animals.
7. Laundry, excluding ironing.
8. Fresh food and good service in restaurants.
8 things I want to do before I die (not all realistic):
1. Perfect a dark roux for gumbo.
2. Get paid to be a restaurant critic.
3. Not suck at karaoke.
4. Complete a marathon, even if it's just a 5K.
5. Go for a hike while carrying my baby in a sling.
6. Shout "Sanctuary!" while banging on the doors of an old church as the bad guys quickly approach.
7. Live at least a few months in NYC.
8. Earn at least $1 from some form of art I created.
8 things I say often:
2. You wanna watch some TEE-vee?
3. Whatcha doin' Buddy-Wuddy?
4. Ooh, honey, what's that smell?
5. Just a Ruby ale and some tots.
8. What the heck?.
8 TV shows I recently watched:
1. The Biggest Loser.
3. Sex and the City.
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm.
6. Moment of Truth (It's awful, I know. I only watched it because Ted plays basketball with host).
8. Saturday Night Live.
8 Songs I never tire of listening to:
1. "Heaven's My Home"--the Duhks.
2. "Dreams"--The Cranberries.
3. "Home"--Rich Mullins.
4. "This Year"--The Mountain Goats (thanks, Neola!)
5. "Feel"--Robbie Williams.
6. "Seven Nation Army"--The White Stripes.
7. "So Much Beauty in Dirt"--Modest Mouse.
8. "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"--Elton John
8 things that attract me to my friends:
please excuse the faulty parallelism in the following list
1. Sense of humor.
5. Equally as opinionated as I am.
6. Nonjudgmental (this quality actually does not have to stand in opposition to #5).
8. Also loathes Love, Actually (I kid, I kid...in fact, I've yet to find this person, so it's probably a pipe dream anyway).
8 Things I learned in 2007:
1. Be organized when it comes to adoption paperwork.
2. Getting impatient and angsty does nothing to speed anything up.
3. Sometimes, it helps to scream really loudly; then you can immediately go back to being patient.
4. Don't drag an old man around Irish country back-roads in a cramped little car without frequent stops. Better yet, don't drag an old man around Irish country back-roads period.
5. Skype is the best way to make long-distance phone calls.
6. Stay away from goats; they give me the willies.
7. If you meet someone famous who you admire and she's nice to you, have the gumption to ask her if she wants to have some coffee because the chances are, she'll say 'yes'.
8. It's possible to fall in love with a photograph.
8 people I "tag": The Spells, Jana, Courtney Rose, Stacie, Carey, Meredith, Susan, Neola.
I'll leave you with my favorite scene from the movie we watched last night. I'm so happy someone put this on youtube. It makes my stomach hurt and my face cry it's so beautiful. Enjoy.