Sunday, March 15, 2009

Slow down, you move too fast


Abe is looking like a kid lately. It's thrilling to hear him stringing together his 60+ word vocabulary into phrases (yes, we made a list), but man, oh man, kid, slow it down.

Abe's middle name is for my maternal grandfather, my Grandaddy, who I can't write about without a lump in my throat. He's been in heaven since 2001, and I still miss him like crazy. Abe never got to know him here. Something about Abe's expression in this photo reminds me of Grandaddy. I've seen Grandaddy make this face many times, something in the way he's holding his lips and furrowing his eyebrows in concentration and possible slight disapproval of something going on in the distance.

He's taking it all in, just like Grandaddy. And I know what Grandaddy would say about this boy of ours: "He looks just like me."

6 comments:

coffeemom said...

Ah Lori. You're right. But it is something you will say, with more and more urgency, from now on. "Man, slow it down." "stop growing." "just let's freeze time, this moment, right now, ok?" Ahhh. But again, when they are big too, they are so great to know and the greatest thing is to LIKE your child's company when they are an independently thinking talking experiencing almost adult.. But, you're already way ahead of many moms in that you see it already. So you can appreciate this adorable sweet age, while it is right in front of you!

That's some hair on that boy! And some bike too! Go Abe!

mama becca said...

oh man, i know exactly what you mean :).
sweet post friend!
becca

Stacie said...

Sweet. I love how you can see your Grandaddy in Abe. :)

Gretchen said...

I adore the last line....

Lori said...

Courtney, that's what Grandaddy said about all his grandchildren. None of us looked like him, not a one.

Rebecca said...

Such a sweet post. Abe is adorable.