Saturday, June 14, 2008

Head Gear

The most bizarre thing I have seen in a very long time:

Yesterday at the little-kids playground at Griffith Park (even Abe was climbing around), I saw this big blond boy, age 3 (I asked), running wildly on all the play structures wearing a contraption on his head made of soft, pillow-y material. It looked sort of like those twisty balloon hats you can get at fairs, except it was some sort of fabric. There was a band around his head, another from ear to ear, and another from front to back. The whole thing stayed on securely with a strap that went under his chin and buttoned behind his ears.

I couldn't stop myself from staring. I noticed a small, frazzled Latino lady following him around, so when they came near us, I said, "Boy, he must hit his head a lot, huh?" She said, "Oh no, his mom just wants to protect his head...you know, he's very smart, fluent in three languages!"

I hope they don't have any photographs of their son in this thing. If any of his 6th grade classmates see it in a few years, boy's gonna be in for serious butt-woopins. Poor thing. Only in L.A.

(still no transfer cable...will post pictures on Abe's birthday as soon as we get it).

11 comments:

Jenny said...

That poor kid, like a couple bumps on the head will knock the language right out of him. Talk about overprotective, I hope he's allowed to go to recess in school w/o something like that.

graceling said...

Wow, and I thought I was protective!

Meredith said...

Alarming story. I wanted you to know I thought of you this entire trip. I was in Jackson last night. I am in Hattiesburg today. I have smelled many magnolias. We ate at the Donut Shop in Richland this morning. It was almost the most Southern experience I have ever had. P.S. Uncle Buddy's funeral was so touching. A lot of Elvis was played. You would have been proud.

Jana said...

yikes. poor boy.

Heather said...

I live in L.A., and either I have seen this particular little boy too... or there is more than one little boy out there wearing this contraption. YIKES.

Poor thing.

Tara said...

WHAT??? Ummmm, I'm glad his mom isn't over the top at all. That sure would suck.

mama becca said...

that's the craziest thing... but knowing Pete (my 2 yr old)... maybe she's onto something... although he starting losing his brain cells about 87 head-bumps ago, so it's probably not worth it...

Autumn and Dan's family said...

That is so funny! Maybe I should start selling those in my ETSY shop! Have a smart child?...must protect that huge head!

Lizard said...

That's HILARIOUS!!! Oh my word...I'm going to be giggling about this all day!!!

Anonymous said...

So, public humiliation OK, paranoia OK, being normal child not OK.

OK

Stacie said...

Weirdo. I've been thinking about this since you posted it. Have you heard of the book "Nation of Wimps"? I think it addresses this particular issue- which means there are more of them out there. Scary.