Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Heat Wave

I can hardly type this from the sweat running onto the keyboard. A newscaster earlier tonight referred to this heat wave as "the mother of them all." Nice. We're breaking records here. Today was 107 degrees.

We don't have air conditioning. We do have a finished basement that is at least 10 degrees cooler than the main floor (which hovers around 90, even at 11pm as I type this) and a window unit in one bedroom upstairs, so I know it could be worse. The problem is that Abe is two years old. The boy needs to move. A basement and small bedroom get old really quick, and going outside is just not an option. So what do we do?

Spend three hours at our favorite Swedish chain, of course, especially if there are cute little blonds there to pretend bake brownies with after a delicious lunch of $3 meatballs and mashed potatoes:


We went there because of the air conditioning and cheap lunch but came away with a toddler bed. It was time. As soon as it cools off, we're setting it up in Abe's bedroom.

Hooray for massive-sized hot dogs! I can't figure out if the "*not actual size" is supposed to be funny or if someone would actually think you could get a 50cent hot dog that is 30 feet long.

A neighbor also recommended an old favorite of ours as a good chilly spot, so we spent a long lunch yesterday having Vietnamese pho:

Abe liked it. A lot.

Our neighbors a few doors down who have delicious air conditioning have invited us over for the last few afternoons in the heat of the day, which has been really nice. Their dog enjoys the chill in the house so much she put on her bunny costume:

Abe put on a very punk-version of Twinkle, twinkle, little star with the aid of a pink microphone:

Word on the street is that the wave is breaking tonight, that it's only supposed to be around 100 tomorrow. That, I think I can take. Every degree counts right?

By the by, have you seen who's home?

9 comments:

mama becca said...

wowwww. i can't believe it's that hot there... NOT FUN! My parents are in alaska and said it was 60. SIXTY. Doesn't that sound delightful? I guess I'm not a hot weather person... come on portland! snap out of it! i might move there someday! :)
ps- love abe's rockin' out picture.

Meredith said...

bless your heart. it must be hot if a girl from mississippi says it is. i love your photography and am amazed you can make a day so hot be so much fun.

Jocelyn said...

That picture of Abe with the microphone is GREAT!! He is a rock star;-) Good luck staying cool!!

More Dorrs said...

it.is.too.hot.

I love Abe in all his 2 year old-ness!

-beka

filoli said...

I am sympathetic. We have been in the 112 and 115s down here and all we have is a window unit in the main room and a window unit in the bedroom. There actually seems to be a heat that poor little window units just can't keep up with for some reason. Anytime anyone asks me how I am doing I reply, "it's hot, too hot." I am not ready for global warming. [sigh]

Our Little Blessings said...

I somehow came across your blog. I also live in Portland. We only have a window unit in our bedroom. Both kiddos have been sleeping with us. We have enjoyed dinner out this week. :) Our church has also had VBS outside this week! Today was the first day we all were comfortable outside.

Autumn and Dan's family said...

Ok, that is so funny. We went to Ikea yesterday and laughed our heads off at the "not actual size" on the massive all beef hotdog sign. I wished I had my camera. What? Ikea doesn't have a freezer full of massivly huge hotdogs in the back?
I'm glad the pilot shirt is getting some really good use.
Isn't it funny when 95 is a break in the heat wave?

Gretchen said...

The hotdog thing is one of my all-time favorites. I think you should enter it in a contest.

Abe looks delicious- even more so than the all beef hotdog.

Bridget said...

I was just in your neck of the woods yesterday and Tuesday (the bookends on our trip West to visit my in-laws on the coast). I was secretly hoping to run in to you at the Children's Museum (ha!) That's where we were! :) You wouldn't know me from Adam. I do realize that. Um. And it WAS hot. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Thank GOD we were on the coast!